The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Michigan was established to encourage adults to continue their learning long after formal schooling is done. The Institute’s popular programs help mature adults to rediscover the piquancy of learning — the joy of discovery and feelings of accomplishment that are unencumbered by tests, grades, or drills.
See Welcome to OLLI-UM Online for an overview of OLLI's Fall 2020 programs.
This year’s programs feature:
- Seven lecture series totaling 43 presentations, offered online through Zoom;
- Two Urgent and Critical Lecture series - the six lecture series Election 2020 and the four lecture series The Lasting Impact of Covid-19;
- More than 50 study groups on a wide variety of topics;
- Five shared interest groups, four continuing and one new;
- Three casual, friend-producing afternoon programs — well-suited to people not yet retired;
- The OLLI Commons, a free and open Zoom meeting space available to OLLI members for one-time events at member request or for regularly scheduled informal gatherings that meet once a month, twice a month, or every week;
- OLLI's Video Catalog includes over 100 recordings with more being added throughout the fall.
OLLI's Fall 2020 Term
OLLI is active online!
- OLLI will be live streaming lectures and providing other online content to keep you engaged and informed.
- All of OLLI's Fall 2020 programs are being conducted online using Zoom.
- See Welcome to OLLI-UM Online for an overview of OLLI's Fall 2020 programs.
- Many of OLLI's lecture series are already underway. The first Fall 2020 Study Groups are starting the week of September 21st.
Fall 2020 Registration
- OLLI's Fall Registration is open: Online registration is preferred, but registration forms may also be sent in by U.S. Mail.
- Lotteries for Study Groups and Shared Interest Groups that were oversubscribed have been conducted and confirmations were sent out by e-mail the evening of Friday, September 11th. Registration status on the OLLI web site will be updated over the next few days.
- Registration for all events that are not oversubscribed is continuing on a first-come first-served basis.
- Annual OLLI-UM membership fee is $25, lecture and class fees vary.
- Annual membership covers the period from September 1 to August 31
- Scholarships are available
- Most lectures are recorded and videos are available for viewing online
How to Sign Up for Fall 2020
- Register online at www.olli-umich.org (preferred and appreciated this term!). You need to use your OLLI e-mail address and password to Sign In. Then use the online Course Catalog to find and register for events using a Visa, Mastercard , Discover or American Express card to pay.
- Register by mailing in your registration form with a check. In-person registration at the OLLI office is not available this term.
- Information about using Zoom is available online. A Zoom Meeting Tutorial video is also available for viewing to help people get started.