The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Michigan was established to encourage adults to continue their learning long after formal schooling is done. The Institute’s popular programs help mature adults to rediscover the piquancy of learning — the joy of discovery and feelings of accomplishment that are unencumbered by tests, grades, or drills.
This year, since June 2020, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute – OLLI – has offered a total of 245 study groups, lectures, events in the Commons and other opportunities for its members to learn and connect with others, all online. In the last year since May of 2020, OLLI has served 39,714 attendees to OLLI virtual lectures, study groups, social offerings, travel, and special afternoon programming and many special events.
Fall 2021 programs will be conducted online using Zoom.
The OLLI offices, located in the Turner Senior Resource Center, are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-5pm. Masks are required, regardless of vaccination status per University policy.
30+ years of service to adult learners ages 50+
Upcoming OLLI Events
Some upcoming OLLI events are free and open to the public. Scholarships are available.
- The Futurescape of Medicine: Healthcare Financing: A Broken System in Need of Repair- Tuesday, September 21st from 10:00AM - 11:30AM
- Afternoons with OLLI: Working in Clay: The Motawi Tileworks Story- Wednesday, September 22nd from 3:30PM - 5:00PM
- Thursday Lecture Series: Canada and the United States: Unidentical Twins: Revisiting the Continental Divide- Thursday, September 23rd from 10:00AM - 11:30AM
- Redistricting in Michigan: How It Works and What to Expect- Thursday, September 23rd from 1:00PM - 3:00PM
- OLLI Out of Town: Diego Rivera and the Detroit Industry Murals at the DIA- Friday, September 24th from 3:00PM - 4:30PM
- Thursday Lecture Series: Canada and the United States: Unidentical Twins: Revolution, Counterrevolution, and Government in the United States and Canada- Thursday, September 30th from 10:00AM - 11:30AM
- Commons Updates:
- The Schmoozery meets every Wednesday at 1:00 pm.
- Coffee with Marta meets on the 1st of 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 9:00 am.
- The First Friday Happy Hour looks forward to seeing you on Friday, October 1st at 4:30pm, with Guest Host Gerry Lapidus.
- Poetry with Ginny Bentz meets the third Friday of the month at 7:00 pm
- The Book Beat meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 4:00pm; see you on Tuesday, September 28, for a friendly discussion of books we read over the summer of 2021.